At VMworld 2013 VMware announced the general availability of its vCloud Hybrid Service that cloudcomputing.info covered in Marchand then again in May.
vCloud Hybrid Service, built on VMware vSphere, provides Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) from the cloud providing a common management, orchestration, networking and security model and will be delivered by VMware’s partner ecosystem.
The new Hybrid Cloud Capabilities could be resumed as follows:
- Direct Connect: Will allow customers to connect their data center network directly to vCloud Hybrid Service over private dedicated networks.
- Disaster Recovery as a Service: Will automatically replicate applications and data to vCloud Hybrid Service, providing automated recovery in the event of an outage.
- Cloud Foundry Platform as a Service: Will provide full support for the open source Cloud Foundry distribution and Pivotal CF.
- VMware Horizon View Desktop-as-a-Service: Customers will be able to run Horizon View Desktops on vCloud Hybrid Service, and rapidly deploy new desktops.
- VMware vCloud Hybrid Service will be generally available in September from data centers located in Las Vegas, NV, Sterling, VA and Santa Clara, CA, with two classes of service:
- vCloud Hybrid Service Dedicated Cloud will provide physically isolated and reserved compute resources with pricing starting at 13 centsan hour for a fully protected, fully redundant 1 GB virtual machine with 1 processor.
- vCloud Hybrid Service Virtual Private Cloud will offer multitenant compute with full virtual private network isolation. Virtual Private Cloud pricing starting at 4.5 cents an hour for a fully protected, fully redundant 1GB virtual machine with 1 processor.
- Horizon View Desktop-as-a-service will be available in beta in Q4.
- Direct Connect will be available in October with a list price of $75 per port per month for a 1GB connection and $250 per port per month for a 10GB connection.
- Disaster Recovery as a service will be available in beta in Q4.
- Cloud Foundry support will be available in Q4.