2016 edition of VMworld US has been quite turbulent, on the other hand during VMworld Europe, happening these days in Barcelona, the company announced a few more products for the joy of its loyal audience.
vSphere 6.5 announced yesterday, for instance, is a release focused on addressing three main challenges: simplify the user experience, integrate security capabilities and support traditional and new generation applications side by side.
To do that this dotted release introduces:
- A newly optimised vCenter Server Appliance, with a fully integrated vSphere Update Manager, file-based backup and recovery, native VCSA high availability and a brand new HTML5-based vSphere Client plus a set of REST-based APIs for VM Management. To speedup the migration from “traditional” Windows deployments VMware also provide a brand new vCenter Server Appliance Migration tool.
- A series of security features such: VM-level disk encryption, encrypted vMotion, secure boot model for both the hypervisor and the guest operating system and enhanced audit-quality logging capabilities that collect more information about user actions.
- vSphere Integrated Containers now shipped with vSphere bundles.
Alongside vSphere VMware also announced Virtual SAN 6.5, the new dotted release of its software-defined storage offering that enables pooling of storage capabilities within exsisting servers.
Key new features are:
- Virtual SAN iSCSI Service
- 2-Node Direct Connect
- Witness Traffic Separation for ROBO
- 512e drive support